Wednesday, March 20, 2024

Are You Facing Challenges of PeriMenopause or Menopause?

22
Doodle Artwork by R. Garde
Canadian Artist


Years ago, I read a book geared to the different stages of a woman's life, including perimenopause and menopause. These chapters could have easily been entitled "Midlife Crisis and Women."

I say this because aside from describing the physical challenges a woman faces during this phase, it shared stories about the emotional and mental challenges that some women also face.

Women described their stories like this [revised from memory]:


...I had hot flashes at inconvenient times. I always felt  I needed to announce them, but my husband really didn't want to know. But I wanted him to know because we're close in age and I wanted us to go through this together! After all, if my fertility were drying up, shouldn't he be aware of it? Isn't it the end of "our" fertility?

...I noticed new wrinkles on my face and a double chin. I needed to colour my hair more often. 

...No matter how hard I exercised I continued to gain weight, I hated my reflection. I didn't like seeing photos of myself. 

...I wanted to look great at my daughter's high school graduation, but I felt frumpy and self-conscious. I wanted my husband to be attracted to me, but he was getting really lousy (or lazy) about giving me compliments--when I needed them most..." Who was I turning into? I missed the old cute me.

Doodle Artwork by R. Garde
Canadian Artist



MIDLIFE WOES

Many women in midlife women have complaints common to those described above.

Topics such as these are rarely addressed in Christian circles, at work, or even in family circles. I once brought up at a Christian women's breakfast that I was dealing with horrific hot flashes. A woman nearby said, "Oh, I faced that years ago." And changed the conversation.

I don't know if I expected someone at our table to share solutions or to tell their own story of hope. I don't recall why I even shared that detail, but I do know that I tend to blurt out how I'm feeling without thinking.

Many women seem to pretend they're okay or joke about the menopausal process, not revealing their own inner turmoil.  But why the secret?


FACING CHALLENGES  

Not every woman may feel she has midlife challenges. Some get few noticeable symptoms related to perimenopause or menopause. My mother-in-law insisted she noticed nothing unusual. 

But for those who do have noticeable changes, it can sometimes help to label them and to understand that many other women have similar challenges. It can help to hear what steps other women have taken to journey through the phase.

More artwork can be found here: 
https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/rosalie-garde




Disruptive Challenges of 
Perimenopause and Menopause 

Several challenges associated with perimenopause or menopause can significantly disrupt the daily lives of women. For example, persistent depression may afflict some, defying resolution despite their efforts. Others may find themselves needing excessive amounts of sleep, while some battle with chronic insomnia, which can significantly impair their daily functioning.

Moreover, symptoms like hot flashes or menopausal migraines can monopolize a woman's life, posing hurdles to the completion of routine activities.

These symptoms of perimenopause and menopause can go on for years.


FIND HELP AND ENCOURAGE EACH OTHER

The Bible does not typically suggest discussing menopause or midlife crises when encouraging or helping others who are struggling. However, when women share their feelings, struggles, and solutions, they can help each other.




No comments:

Post a Comment