|Photo: Rebecca Garde|
What are your interests? What are you desires? What do you wish would happen in your life? What door are you hoping will open?
As a Christian woman, do you know that your deepest desires are placed within you from God himself?
Philippians 2:13 for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose.
FOR GOD'S SAKE
Your desires aren't about you, though. While God likes to give good gifts to his children, the gifts he places within you are for his glory and to accomplish his purposes which includes completing his earthly mission of sharing the good news.
Mark 16:15-16 He said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel [publish openly the good news] to all creation."
WHAT TO DO ABOUT DESIRES
Day-to-day desires--to write a book, to get a job, to earn a degree, to make friends, to cultivate a garden, to paint, to record music, to travel, and so on--are often accomplishable. They are desires the Lord has placed within you not just for your pleasure, but as part of fulfilling his complex purposes.
A PRACTICAL LIST
So what are some practical steps you can take in making your desires come to light?
- Commit your plans to God. Proverbs 16:3 puts it this way, "Commit to the LORD whatever you do, and your plans will succeed."
- Take your desires seriously for they are clues into your calling. 1 Corinthians 12:11 "All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he gives them to each one, just as he determines."
- Ask God to fan your desires into flame. "For this reason I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you through the laying on of my hands." 2 Tim. 1:6
- Take small steps towards them. Don't shy away from them or use negative self-talk to talk yourself out of them.
"Being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus." Phil 1:6
- Practice, work hard, and do your best when given the chance to make your desires a reality. "We work wearily with our own hands to earn our living. We bless those who curse us. We are patient with those who abuse us" 1 Cor. 4:12 LB
- Leave the outcome to God. If you have certain expectations of how things should work, chances are you will be disappointed. Some things will turn out as gloriously as pictured, and others won't. Since we live out our desires for God, the results are up to him.
"My purpose will be established, And I will accomplish all My good pleasure" Isaiah 46:10